Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Finally Justice is Delivered!!

It was one similar day many years back when I came across this article on Priyadarshini Mattoo. The article talked about how she was stalked, traumatised and finally raped and murdered in broad daylight in her own home.

What will go on in your mind when you read such story? It made my heart so heavy that I started doubting if it will remain in its position. While she was not related to me, my psyche couldnt stop from getting completely disturbed. One thing that stopped coming out were tear drops who were fighting vehemently to come out though. I was asking myself "why am i getting disturbed for a stranger?" May be she was nto a stranger. May be because she was my gentle countrywoman. May be she was that gentle flower who was trampled by a monster. May be because this flower didnt get justice.

I dont know what went on in my mind then that I used to generally google that name "Priya Darshini Mattoo" just with a hope that may be her case is opened and may be justice has been delivered. But no, justice was not to be delivered even after 7 years, 8 years, 9 years.

Then a ray of hope I saw. I saw when while surfing NDTV, came across a campaign for justice for Priyadarshini.

Today on October 17, when I finally read the news of justice being delivered, how should I have reacted? Happiness? I couldnt stop myself from getting emotional. I am sure so many fellow countrymen and countrywomen have got emotional. All that comes to everyone's mind is the plight a 70 year old father had to go through since he lost his little flower destroyed. What might he have done when he went home with this "good" news? He might have stared at his daughter's photo for a long time as if asking "have you heard this news?" "have you heard that your killer is finally punished?"

If we put ourselves in that room with her father, it will break us down, it will bring that fire in us to fight for justice so that so one suffers like Priyadarshini.

Who was Priyadarshini anyway? She was just a stranger. But she was related to all of us. And so is every woman who is taken for granted, who faces the worst in life and waits for justice even after death.

Will our judiciary bring justice to all who deserve? May be finally we are setting a right trend after a long time. Finally may be we are working towards creating the country where a woman feels safe and feels like the country's daughter.

May your soul rest in peace Priyadarshini. You didnt deserve this kind of treatment by your own country. May be you will forgive your country which didnt let you live peacefully and happily. May be you will forgive your country when you see that so many of your countryfolks couldnt get over the sadness of losing you and they kept fighting for your justice.

After a long time, it may really make sense to celebrate deepavali. To celebrate justice. To celebrate ray of hope however trembling it is.

No comments: