Sunday, November 25, 2007

Our Culture is Great

While I love reading history, I always hated it in curriculum while growing up. History was unavoidable subject in primary and high schools. I always felt that it was introduced in curriculum not to invoke interest but as one more done. Its like, just have it because we have to have it.

Anyways, while I hated the subject when in school either because of poor teaching, or the way we had to cram to get high scores or just the lack of analysis in it.

Increasingly these days, the question that is intriguing me is , whether it taught me right things. One thing I am going to focus on is the fact that I had been taught that is, India had a great culture. We were always welcoming and open hearted to our guests.

Focus changed to India 2007. Looking at India 2007, I start wondering , were we really cultured? If we were, where and when did our culture get eroded. If India was indeed rich in culture and kindness, that generation would be so ashamed to see the current generation.

The treatment being meted out to Taslima Nasreen puts me to shame. I am not ashamed about the countrymen. Because I have a strong conviction and hope that if we consider the whole country, then the number of people welcoming her will far outnumber the people protesting her presence. And yet, these small number of people with their violent protests are holding the society to ransom. And the Government looks on because they dont wanna loose votes. It has been quite a drama over the last few days.

It really can be enacted very nicely.
First, the violent protests erupt. That is quite easy these days. A bunch of people with bottles, sticks, knives can easily scare the innocents off.

The government immediately buckles and sends Taslima off to Rajasthan. Lets not bring police into picture by the way. I wonder if these are the days when they command the least respect ever.

Then in Rajasthan, some bunch of fanatics again protest and they shift her to Delhi.

And today, I am depressingly surprised to see the Centre jittery on hosting her.

Oh my god. We have the advanced weaponry and nuclear strength to annihilate our neighbors (that is what our sentiment these days isnt it?) but we cannot command a discipline in our people. And it is this lawlessness that is reflected in every individual's flouting the rules day in and day out.

And they say, India is going to be the super power in 2020.

And I sadly think about the hallucinations affecting all of us.

No comments: