Thursday, May 17, 2007

May 18, 2007 : Patenting Yoga

What exactly is in the mind of a patenter? Now Yoga is being patented. Do the person who is patenting not feeling shameful about taking credit for something that has been around for ages? Slightly Modifying something and then patenting it is nothing but plagiarism. It is astonishing to see the the United States Patent Office is even granting the patent. This is going to create a bad war. More such ridiculous patents are indicscrimately granted, more will be their violations. And in order to curb the violation, if the laws are made stronger, there will be an uproar. This is my premonition.

Some similar absurd patents that I heard were :
  • Attempts to patent Neem and Turmeric. It is like I rewrite e=mc2 as e'=m'*c'*c' and trying to patent it as my own. I am sure Einstein will kill me. :-)
  • Attempt to patent some Indian curry (palak paneer?) in Japan

I think we need to mature. Patenting should be for one's own basic innovation. Otherwise, even Anu Malik should start patenting the songs that he copies.

By the way, I am planning to invent a new word and patent it. The new word is

plagia-rent

:-) Adios for today.

No comments: