Monday, August 27, 2007

Onam Ashamsakal

The title means, "Wish you a very happy Onam". On the streets of Bangalore I can see malayalam folks sporting the traditional wear. I see men wearing the traditional lungi. The women in the white sarees with wet hair clipped at 4/5ths length look gorgeous. You can look at them and immediately figure out that today is Onam. Wow what an amazing uniqueness. My colleague told me that on this day there is a Sadhya which means Feast.

I love Malayalam food. In fact I love anything edible made of coconut. So I thought why miss this awesome opportunity of enjoying Malayalam food on the day of Onam. So I went with my colleagues to Sadhya. Wow reminded me of the old days when I enjoyed the brown payasam. Yummy.

It was a soothing experience particularly after hearing the sad news of explosions etc. over the last few days.

It gives such a pleasant feeling when you go to a festival that some other state celebrates, and enjoy the festivities and be part of it. The joy is enormous because I can hear one strong message coming out of it :

We, the Indians, with all our diversities and cultural colors, are the part of a big unique family

No comments: